The UK’s largest independent investigative journalism organisation is looking for a high-calibre reporter to dig into the use of algorithms and big data.
This new role will work on a project investigating how governments are using big data, and in particular how such programmes can impact human rights and privacy.
This role will work with the project lead to deliver hard-hitting, ambitious stories across print and broadcast. The ideal candidate will have reported widely on the technology industry and the use of technology in government for at least three years. You will be full of story ideas and will have done some off-diary, longer term, investigative-style reporting. We are looking for an ambitious journalist ready for their next break in journalism. You will probably be working on a trade publication looking to move into national reporting, or a specialist reporter on a national publication looking for more prominence as well as independence and responsibility.
The role will be primarily based in our London office, but there is some room for flexibility. We are particularly interested in supporting and encouraging applicants from groups that are under-represented in the media and we are open to some flexi working to help support parents and carers.
This is a full-time role for an initial 18-month period reporting to the project lead and the Bureau’s Global Editor.
Salary depending on experience.
- Be part of a two-person team delivering hard-hitting investigations
- Develop story ideas
- Help develop a social media and wider community around the project
- Keep across the media reporting and policy development in the area
- Build a strong contact base to help deliver stories and impact
- Represent the Bureau and the project at events and conferences
Experience and skills
- Proven track record of strong, off-diary stories in the big tech area
- Deliverable story ideas
- Good contacts
- Strong reporting skills
- Diligence and attention to detail
- Collaborative team player
- Interest in developing as an investigative journalist
- Proof of good long-read writing
- A passion for accountability journalism
Desirable experience and skills
- Strong investigative skills
- Social media
- Presenting and public speaking
- Ideas for imaginative story-telling
Send a CV and covering letter to [email protected]
This job advert was published on August 30, 2019. There is no closing date. This is not a traditional recruitment process; we will hire the right candidate, when the right candidate applies. For this reason we encourage candidates to submit their applications as early as possible for the best chance of success.