Assistant Production Editor
Job Type: Part time (3 days a week or 24 hours shared over five days)
Location: London preferred, although the position will be based from home for the rest of the year
Salary: Up to £36,000 pro rata
After rapid expansion we now need additional production support. We are looking for somebody passionate about our mission who wants to make a difference in the world. You will be involved in all aspects of production including editing and subbing copy, layout, picture and infographics commissioning.
You will work with our production editor, but you will independently be able to take copy from our reporters and see it through to publication. We want somebody who can turn long, involved copy into an engaging story; somebody who knows how to get stories noticed, and who can help to make our website sing.
About the Bureau
The Bureau of Investigative Journalism is a not-for-profit newsroom that focuses on in-depth, deep reporting that digs into important public interest issues. We report on subjects as wide ranging as the climate emergency, Russian interference in our democracy, financial corruption, big tech and homelessness.
Our stories are always co-published with big media groups, but we also publish our investigations on our website. We take pride in making our work engaging and we are keen to reach audiences affected by our stories. This might be through a short social media video, a press release or a well written 5,000 word article.
The Bureau is committed to being an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a diverse and inclusive environment where people can come to do their best work. We welcome applications from those belonging to groups traditionally under-represented in the media.The Bureau recognises the importance of helping its employees balance their work and home life by offering flexible working arrangements.
You can read more about us here.
- Editing and subbing copy to a high standard
- Layout and publishing of copy and furniture using our CMS
- Picture selection and commissioning photography, infographics and illustrations
- Working with reporters to shape stories
- Helping with fact checking
Experience and skills
- Obsessed with detail
- Brilliant writing and editing
- Good visual sense
- Fantastic ideas about how to tell stories better
- Experience of online production
- A passion for great journalism
- Understanding of nuance
- Track record of working to a deadline
- SEO and use of analytics to amplify the reach of stories
- Video and audio editing skills would be beneficial but not essential
You would be a good fit if you
- Love working in a team
- Feel passionate about the difference journalism can make in the world
- Are diligent and passionate about getting things right
- Have creative ideas about how to make long, often involved stories engage people
Applications close August 24.
Please send us a CV and a short cover letter to: [email protected]
To support your application you may wish to include examples that show your experience relevant to the list above in your cover letter. But do not be put off if you feel you do not meet every point.
Interviews will be held online in the week commencing August 31
Please also fill out our Equality Monitoring Form here, which is anonymous, so we can continue to improve our recruitment and application process.