The US has spent more than $70bn on Afghan security. But the defence against the Taliban is falling to some very unconventional soldiers.
US jets and drones have carried out 85 strikes in Yemen since Donald Trump's inauguration, more than in all of 2015 and 2016 combined.
If confirmed, an attack on Thursday which killed two militants would be the first US strike on in Pakistan since May last year - raising the possibility of a shift in policy.
The 20 strikes were carried out over one morning, targeting fighters from the regional arm of al Qaeda, their equipment and infrastructure.
Since the US withdrew its combat forces from Afghanistan, responsibility for security has shifted to local partners - meaning it is often left in the hands of strongmen who have their own agendas.
Working with a journalist who visited the targeted Yemeni village after the raid and gathered survivors' testimony, we have collected the names and ages of 25 civilians reportedly killed.
Airstrikes killed and injured more civilians in Afghanistan last year than at any time since the United Nations (UN) began systematically recording casualties there in 2009.
The outgoing Obama administration says it killed one civilian and 431-441 combatants in counterterrorism strikes last year – contrasting slightly with the Bureau’s estimate.
Obama developed a defining policy architecture which his successor Donald Trump now inherits: the ability to kill suspected terrorists anywhere without US personnel having to leave their bases.
The use of drones aligned with Obama’s ambition to keep up the war against al Qaeda while extricating the US military from intractable ground wars, but the programme has drawn much criticism.
The US is pursuing a conventional aerial campaign against the Taliban with virtually no troops on the ground to provide reliable intelligence to guide it.
The Bureau’s complete data sets on drone strikes in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Yemen and Somalia.
The Ministry of Defence announced plans to buy a new fleet of Predator drones from the US last April, stating the total cost would be £415m. Now the US says the estimated cost is £802m.
Senior al Qaeda leader Faruq al Qatani was killed in a “precision strike” on October 23 in Afghanistan’s Kunar province, the Pentagon has confirmed.
The deaths amount to the biggest confirmed loss of civilian life in a single American strike in Afghanistan since the attack on the Medecins Sans Frontieres hospital in Kunduz last October.
In an unprecedented moment of transparency during a 14 year covert war, US officials have met the family of an accidental drone strike victim to explain what happened and apologise.
Somali officials have claimed that the US killed 22 local soldiers and civilians in a drone strike that hit the north-central city of Galkayo late last month.
The payment to the family of an Italian aid worker killed in a CIA attack last year is the first confirmed example of the US paying relatives of a drone strike victim.
Figures released to the Bureau provide firm evidence the US has intensified its fight against the Taliban despite officially ending combat operations against the group in 2014.